BSO identifies driver in fatal hit-and-run crash
Updated On: Feb 18 2013 05:46:11 PM EST
The Broward County Sheriff's Office has identified the driver accused of hitting a cyclist as he tried to flee from the scene of an accident on Saturday.
According to BSO, Jose Javier Monserrate-Dural, 28, hit a car parked outside of a Davie home before 11:30 a.m. As he tried to get away from the crash, he struck and killed bicyclist Dwight Morrison, 63, on Griffin Road, deputies said.
Authorities say Monserrate-Dural continued to drive eastbound on Griffin Road after striking Morrison. He eventually crossed over the median and into the westbound lanes, hitting three cars before crashing head-on into a fourth, investigators said.
None of the drivers were severely hurt, though one person was taken to Cleveland Clinic to be treated for a minor injury.
Monserrate-Dural was taken to a nearby hospital before he was transported to BSO Main Jail.
Monserrate-Dural has been charged with a slew of charges, including:
- DUI alcohol or drugs second offense
- DUI with damage to property of another
- Failing to stay at an accident involving a death
- Leaving the scene of an accident involving damage to property
- Reckless driving
- Violating a driver’s license restriction
- Driving across or on a median
- Fleeing or attempting to elude law enforcement
- Driving on the wrong side of a roadway
- Blocking an intersection or crosswalk
- Disobeying stop signs and a red light
Tractor-trailer driver saved after running off road into Miami canal
South Florida condo president charged for running association without license
Man points gun at cabbie, steals money after placing pick-up call
Crowds of South Floridians head to polls for early voting
Apple Pay launches in over 200,000 stores Monday