BSO identifies driver in fatal hit-and-run crash
Updated On: Feb 18 2013 05:46:11 PM EST
The Broward County Sheriff's Office has identified the driver accused of hitting a cyclist as he tried to flee from the scene of an accident on Saturday.
According to BSO, Jose Javier Monserrate-Dural, 28, hit a car parked outside of a Davie home before 11:30 a.m. As he tried to get away from the crash, he struck and killed bicyclist Dwight Morrison, 63, on Griffin Road, deputies said.
Authorities say Monserrate-Dural continued to drive eastbound on Griffin Road after striking Morrison. He eventually crossed over the median and into the westbound lanes, hitting three cars before crashing head-on into a fourth, investigators said.
None of the drivers were severely hurt, though one person was taken to Cleveland Clinic to be treated for a minor injury.
Monserrate-Dural was taken to a nearby hospital before he was transported to BSO Main Jail.
Monserrate-Dural has been charged with a slew of charges, including:
- DUI alcohol or drugs second offense
- DUI with damage to property of another
- Failing to stay at an accident involving a death
- Leaving the scene of an accident involving damage to property
- Reckless driving
- Violating a driver’s license restriction
- Driving across or on a median
- Fleeing or attempting to elude law enforcement
- Driving on the wrong side of a roadway
- Blocking an intersection or crosswalk
- Disobeying stop signs and a red light
State attorney offers murder suspect to pass polygraph test for freedom
Gov. Rick Scott persuades government to back off school grading system
Police say suspect, shooting victim may have known each other
Mother of kidnapped South Fla. journalist pleads for son's release
Man with ties to Sun Life Stadium caught on camera abusing dog