Miami man dies from bacterial meningitis
Updated On: Nov 16 2012 09:50:14 AM EST
A 24-year-old man died Wednesday after being diagnosed with bacterial meningitis.
Bryant de la Cruz was Diego Gonzalez's best friend. Originally from the Columbia, the two met in high school.
"We were like brothers. We spoke every day," said Gonzalez.
On Monday, Gonzalez couldn't reach de la Cruz. About 10 p.m., he saw a picture on his friend's Facebook page saying he was sick.
Bryant de la Cruz was admitted to Baptist Hospital, where he was complaining of a headache and fever. He was discharged early Tuesday.
But when he got home, de la Cruz felt worse, and on the way back to the hospital, he lost consciousness.
Then Gonzalez received a call.
"On Tuesday, I got a call from the hospital. He had died and they wanted me to confirm the body," said Gonzalez. "He was 24 years old. This shouldn't have happened to him."
Bryant de la Cruz would have turned 25 on Thanksgiving Day.
Symptoms of meningococcal meningitis include nausea, vomiting, increased sensitivity to light, and confusion.
This meningitis is not the same type as last month's nationwide outbreak, which was fungal and traced to the New England Compounding Center.
Baptist Hospital released a statement Wednesday, saying: "We extend our deepest condolences to the patient's family. The patient died at Baptist Hospital, but due to patient privacy laws, we cannot provide specific information about treatment. We continue to work closely with the Miami-Dade County Health Department."
The funeral for de la Cruz will be held at Benardo Garcia Funeral, located at 12050 SW 117th Avenue, at 5 p.m. Friday.
Copyright 2012 by Post Newsweek. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
U.S. Airlines starting to waive change fees due to thanksgiving storm
BlackBerry to pay iPhone users to switch phones
Protests, rallies against Ferguson outcome continue across nation
Ferguson Officer Wilson speaks in first interview as protests continue
South Fla. call center exposed by Local 10 now closed