Charges dropped against woman accused of fatally hitting pedestrian
Updated On: Jul 31 2014 05:16:00 PM EDT
A woman accused of hitting a pedestrian with her car and then leaving the scene of the crash is no longer facing charges.
The charges against Joy Clayton were dropped during a hearing in Miami on Thursday, after the State Attorney's Office determined it did not have enough evidence to charge her with a crime. Prosecutors were reportedly unable to disprove a claim Clayton made that while driving she believed a bottle had been thrown at her car's windshield.
Clayton was initially charged with leaving the scene of an accident resulting in death in the fatal crash last year.
Police said at 10 p.m. March 22, 2013, Clayton was driving her black 2010 Mazda 3 northbound on Brickell Bay Drive approaching the intersection of Southeast Eighth Street.
Ana Mares, 52, was walking to her car on Brickell Bay Drive when police said she was hit and killed by Clayton's car.
"There are no winners here," said Clayton's attorney. "Yes, she is relieved. She is relieved to have finally been exonerated after this thorough review of the evidence."
A victim advocate for Mothers Against Drunk Driving said Mares' family members did not appear in court because they were too overwhelmed.
"The family is devastated," said Sally Madsen. "They lost a wonderful sister, daughter, aunt. everyone who knew and loved Ana Mares is broken-hearted and they just could not bring themselves to be here today to hear that the person charged with the crime walked off with no consequences at all."