Judge Debra Nelson allows George Zimmerman's calls to police
Updated On: Jun 26 2013 10:29:15 AM EDT
Judge Debra Nelson ruled Wednesday that jurors will be able to hear five recordings of non-emergency calls George Zimmerman made to police.
Zimmerman made the calls in the six months before the Feb. 26, 2012 shooting. In some of the calls he told dispatchers there had been burglaries in his neighborhood.
"It shows the context in which the defendant sought out his encounter with Trayvon Martin," prosecutor Richard Mantei said.
Defense attorney Mark O'Mara argued that the five calls were irrelevant.
Prosecutors are "going to ask the jury to make a leap from a good, responsible, citizen behavior to seething behavior," O'Mara said.
Nelson listened to the calls in the courtroom Tuesday, as the jurors waited outside.
Hate letter sent to Miami Central HS football coach
New warnings after recent execution of American journalist
Commissioners take part in 2 events ahead of Election Day
County to add body cameras for cops following Ferguson shooting
Police: Father, girlfriend sleeping off hangover when kid was killed by dogs