Judge rules son competent to stand trial in dad's killing
Updated On: Oct 31 2013 03:16:49 PM EDT
The son of a former South Miami commissioner is competent to stand trial in the shooting death of his father, a judge ruled on Thursday.
On Easter Sunday 2009, Commissioner Jay Beckman was found dead inside his home, the victim of an apparent gunshot wound.
According to investigators, someone inside the home, located in the 6500 block of Southwest 65th Avenue, called 911 to report that shots had been fired.
Beckman's son, Jason, was detained and questioned for hours after the shooting. The then 17-year-old was arrested and charged with manslaughter with a firearm.
According to police, Jason Beckman asked his father to show him how to use a shotgun the commissioner owned. He then reportedly took the gun from his fathers closet, loaded it and walked into the bathroom, where his father was showering, to show him how he had put the gun together.
Thats when the gun went off, police said. The bullet struck the commissioner in the neck. Jay Beckman died at the scene.
Skateboarding, biking banned on Lincoln Road
South Fla. mother says son's BSO-involved shooting reminds her of Ferguson case
Small Ferguson grand jury verdict protest underway in Miami
Woman gunned down during home invasion in northwest Miami-Dade County
South Fla. organizations help those in need enjoy Thanksgiving feast