SAO won't retry Geralyn Graham for murder in Rilya Wilson case

By Ben Candea, Senior Web Producer, bcandea@local10.com
Published On: Dec 24 2013 01:54:01 PM EST
Updated On: Oct 30 2013 10:17:50 PM EDT

Prosecutors in Miami have decided not to retry the caretaker of long-missing child Rilya Wilson on a murder charge.

MIAMI -

Prosecutors in Miami have decided not to retry the caretaker of long-missing child Rilya Wilson on a murder charge.

A memo released Wednesday by the Miami-Dade State Attorney's Office recommends the charge be dismissed against Geralyn Graham. The 68-year-old Graham was sentenced earlier this year to 55 years in prison on kidnapping and child abuse charges, but jurors deadlocked on the murder count.

The memo cites numerous difficulties with another trial, including the fact that Rilya's body was never found and incomplete Department of Children and Families records.

Read: SAO memo

"We expected this would happen eventually, but we didn't know this would happen today (Wednesday)," said Graham's attorney, Scott Sakin.

Rilya, 4, vanished in December 2000 from Graham's home but her disappearance wasn't noticed for 15 months, largely because a Department of Children and Families caseworker neglected to check on her.

The state's case hinged on jailhouse informants who say Graham confessed to them. Two of those informants said they wouldn't testify again, according to the memo.

Graham insists she is innocent.

Comments

The views expressed are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read theĀ Terms Of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms.Ā 
blog comments powered by Disqus