Testimony to continue in Sandor Guillen trial

By Alexandra Fruin, Producer, AFruin@wplg.com
Published On: Feb 28 2014 07:46:15 AM EST
Updated On: Feb 28 2014 11:10:00 AM EST

The trial of a man accused in a deadly hit-and-run crash is scheduled to resume Friday.

MIAMI -

The trial of a man accused in a hit-and-run crash that killed a 13-year-old girl is scheduled to resume Friday morning for a third day of testimony.

Prosecutors claim Sandor Guillen was driving the SUV that hit the minivan Kaely Camacho was riding in with her family.

Guillen has pleaded not guilty to charges of DUI manslaughter and vehicular homicide.

On Thursday, defense attorneys for Guillen attempted to convince jurors that detectives mishandled evidence from the scene of the April 2012 crash. They called into question how the crash scene was analyzed and how the initial paperwork disappeared.

But veteran Miami-Dade police Detective Oscar Perez defended his actions during his testimony.

"I think I supplied plenty of information that anybody needs," he said.

An earlier argument by the defense was that Camacho's father, who gave emotional testimony Wednesday, ran a red light and was responsible for the crash.

Prosecutors called on county engineers to explain the way the southwest Miami-Dade County intersection is set up to show there is no way Guillen had a green light at the time of the accident.

Police said Guillen had been driving 100 mph in the Miami-Dade Transit Busway lane at the time of the crash.

If convicted, Guillen could face up to more than 30 years in jail.

Closing arguments are scheduled for 9:30 a.m. Monday at the Richard E. Gerstein Justice Building.

Comments

The views expressed are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms Of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. 
blog comments powered by Disqus