Published On: Feb 28 2013 12:05:11 PM ESTUpdated On: Feb 28 2013 01:48:43 PM EST
When Harry Truman became president, he inherited a White House that was structurally unsound and in danger of collapse. Between 1949 and 1952, Truman moved out while the White House was completely gutted, leaving only the outer walls around a shell, as seen here.
The mansion was then rebuilt using concrete and steel beams in place of its original wooden joists.
The shell of the White House during the renovation. Any bulldozers and other equipment had to be brought in piece by piece, as Truman wouldn't allow that big of a hole to be cut into the White House walls.
More construction equipment inside the White House in 1950.
A view from the servants' dining room in the White House.
The White House lobby during the renovation.
The Blue Room during renovations.
A wall in the Red Room of the White House.
Southeast view of the Yellow Bathroom.
Fireplace in the East Room of the White House.
A bedroom and sitting room in the White House during the renovation.
The east wall of the State Dining Room.
View of the northeast corner of the White House.
Northeast view of the State Dining Room.
A view facing north of the pantry on the first floor of the White House.
A view of the South Portico of the White House.
Workers pose inside the enormous duct system installed in the White House basement.
The East Room of the White House in 1950.
A split beam above the White House lobby ceiling.
Workers dismantle one of the many bathtubs in the White House.
Workers look down into the lower corridor of the White House.
The White House main stairway as it's being rebuilt.
Debris is removed from the White House during the renovation.
Workers look down from the second floor Oval Study above the Blue Room.
View from the Lincoln Room during the renovation.
Southwest view of the North Portico of the White House.
Northeast view of the East Room.
West view in the third floor corridor.
New steps of the South Portico being erected.
Northeast view of the State Dining Room during the renovation.
The second floor corridor of the White House.
President Harry S. Truman and first lady Bess Truman return to the White House after the renovation in 1952.